2021 Swim Lessons
Forest Hills is excited to offer swim lessons from May to October. Due to current COVID restrictions (as of April), we are only able to offer Private (1 student) and Semi-Private (2 students) lessons, with both students in a Semi-Private lesson being in the same household. We plan to bring back Group Lessons as soon as possible. Adult students are welcome.
The health of our members and community is a top priority. Our swim instructors will wear masks in and out of the water and follow protocols for safety and cleanliness. Masks are not required for students, but are of course allowed. Please do not come to your lesson if you’re feeling sick or have a temperature. We promise to do the same! Make-up lessons will be allowed for reasons of illness. Since our restroom capacity will be limited, it is recommended that you come to your lesson dressed and ready to go, and keep your belongings with you. Also, please note that for the time-being, only the outdoor shower is open.
Lessons are held Monday through Thursday in the morning and evening for 30 minutes. Each session is two weeks long and contains 8 lessons.
#1 - May 10-20, 2021 — Monday-Thursday
#2 May 24-June 3 2021, Monday-Thursday – Times TBA
#3 June 7-17 2021, Monday-Thursday – Times TBA
#4 June 21-July 1 2021, Monday-Thursday – Times TBA
#5 July 5- 15 2021, Monday-Thursday – Times TBA
#6 July 19-29 2021, Monday-Thursday – Times TBA
For 8 lessons
Private (1 student) -- $200
Semi-Private (same family and approx. same level) -- $185
10% discount if enrolling in multiple sessions.
Email your swim lesson application to Signe Gervasoni at email@example.com or call/text her at 510-220-9282. Once you receive a confirmation please remit payment.
To pay by Credit Card or Bank Account:
Please use the Venmo app. Search for: @FHSwimClub
**Note: Venmo will not charge a fee when using a debit card or bank account.
However, there is a 3% fee when using a credit card.
To pay by Check:
Make checks payable to: Forest Hills Swim Club
Mail to: P.O. Box 2087, Castro Valley, CA 94546.
Email Signe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 220-9282.
Classes are kept small (up to 2 students) in our heated outdoor pool.
We accept all level of swimmers from age 3 and up.
Adult swimmers welcome.
Each student is allowed one (1) make-up lesson per session.
Make-up lessons are by appointment, usually on Saturdays. No drop-in.
What is my swim level ability?:
Pre-School (age 3-5) Water Exploration
• Develop swimming readiness
• Getting comfortable in the water
• Water safety
• Water entry and bubble blowing
• Underwater exploration, hold breath underwater
• Front and back kicking, floats, glides, and introduce arm movements
• Jumping in and turning over
LEVEL 1 Water Exploration (Beginner over age 5)
• Orientation to aquatic environment
• Create a sound foundation for aquatic and safety skills
• Underwater exploration
• Fully submerge face – 3 seconds
• Supported floating and kicking on front and back
• Alternating arm action with support
• Bounce up and down in chest deep water 10 times
• Walk in chest deep water, alternating arms 5 yards
• Basic water safety rules and how to get help in an emergency
LEVEL 2: Primary Skills - Beginner
• Expand on fundamental aquatic locomotion and safety skills
• Stroke Introduction: Backstroke & Crawl
• Floating or gliding on front and back unsupported with recovery 5 -15 seconds
• Combined stroke on front, using kick and alternation arm action 5 yards
• Change Direction while swimming
LEVEL 3: Stroke Readiness - Intermediate
• Increase swimming skill competency
• Treading water
• Stroke introduction: Above as well as Scissor kicks
• Headfirst from sitting in to water
• Back float 30 seconds, Tread water 30 seconds
• Front Crawl 15 yard
• Elementary Back stroke 15 yards
• Scissor kick 10 yard
LEVEL 4: Develop Stroke - Intermediate
• Develop confidence and competency in strokes and safety skills beyond preceding levels
• Introduction of breaststroke and sidestroke
• Tread water, any kick 2 minutes
• Stroke introduction: Above as well as butterfly & breast stroke
• Dives from the side of pool from stride and standing positions
• Elementary backstroke 10 yards
• Front crawl rotary breathing 25 yards
• Breaststroke 15 yards
• Sidestroke kick 10 yards
• Introduction to turning at wall
LEVEL 5: Skill Proficiency - Advanced
• Continue refinement of front crawl, elementary backstroke and sidestroke
• Introduce butterfly, surface dives and springboard diving
• Tread water 2 different kicks 5 minutes
• Beginning diving progression from diving board
• Breaststroke 25 yards
• Sidestroke 25 yards
• Swimming underwater 3 body lengths
• Elementary backstroke 25 yards
• Butterfly 25 yards
• Front 50 yard and back crawl 25 yards
• Open turns on front and back
• Elementary back stroke 50 yards
LEVEL 6 Advanced Skills to Very Advanced (3 subdivisions)
• Develop maximum efficiency and endurance for strokes
• Introduce flip turns
• Refinement of diving skills
• Personal Water Safety
• Fundamentals of Diving
• Fitness Swimmer
• Approach and hurdle on diving board
• Jump tuck from diving board
• Tuck and pike surface dives
• Breaststroke 50 yards
• Front crawl 100 yards
• Back crawl 100 yards
• Sidestroke 25 yards, sidestroke turn
• Breaststroke 25 yards
• Butterfly 10 yards
• Approach stroke 25 yards
• Flip turn for front crawl
For further information regarding our swim lesson program, please email: